[haiku-web] Re: Fwd: [General] Add Comunity Project

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:39:40 -0700

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Remi Grumeau <remi.grumeau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Besides, why not build on what we already have, improving it gradually,
>> instead of trying to reinvent the wheel?
>>

> I'm not a drupal or wiki optimist, but i would agree with Jorge on that
> since Drupal seems to permit a high level of permission control per user /
> group of users.
> You can then declare the documentation node as an anybody edit / submit area
> since revision is also part of the game. Sounds like a wiki-clone nope ?
> And i feel like the more centralised is the whole website content /
> administration, the best and simplier it will be. So that's also why i would
> be much better agree with a Drupal based solution here than a new other tool
> (wiki or other). Why not switch all our blogs on Wordpress then ? :)

I admit, I'm usually lost during these discussions when it comes to
clarifying exactly what everyone's intent for a given feature is. I
did originally read it as a desire to allow anyone to edit any page on
the website, and I guess I jumped to a conclusion there.

That is probably because it is my personal desire to see a fully
collaborative, anyone-can-contribute (even anonymously), location for
tutorials, how-to's, and other communited-contributed content.

Clearly my impressions are mostly flawed, so I suppose I should just shut up :)

The only other thing I will say is that Drupal may have hundreds of
modules that make it behave like anything else out there - but when it
comes down to it, that *is* reinventing wheels, and feels clumsy to
me. Drupal's core functionality is *very* good, and I really do like
Drupal, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily the best tool for
every job :)

In any case, I'll get off my soapbox for a while, since I'm clearly
wearing it out :D

- Urias