[haiku-inc] Contract proposal: website & R1B1 work

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:07:04 -0400

Hi all,

I briefly exchanged messages with Ryan Leavengood a few weeks ago about
working for Haiku as a paid contract developer this summer. I propose to
spend a minimum of 240 hours across 6 weeks for $2000 USD working on
getting the website moved towards Drupal 8 and also on tickets in / related
to R1B1.

I might be able to spend up to an additional 120 hours for $1000, if I have
time and there are funds available.

The hours will be spent on:

* Website:
- work on upgrading Drupal from 6 to 8, which includes (at least) theme
rewrite to Drupal 8's templating system, removal of old modules, verifying
newer modules work, migrating content, and straightening out the convoluted
permissions system.
- migration to CloudFlare (this has already been discussed on the -web
and -inc MLs previously, and is currently pending discussion from the
board; so however & whatever I work on here is subject to the board's
decision)

* R1B1:
- investigating barely-reproducible regressions from the tracker_layout
merge
- updating outdated/vulnerable ports
- fixing native software in HaikuDepot that have critical (severely
functionality-hampering) bugs (BeShare, for example)
- any other UI/UX related tickets in the B1 milestone

I'll prioritize the website work over the R1B1 work, but it's unclear right
now how much of that I'll be able to do without conferring with others
whose time is limited. (I do have a backup copy of vmweb from October or
so, which is recent enough for me to work on the theme and installed
modules, which haven't changed since then).

I'd be starting work somewhere around June 1st. I may take a week off for a
family vacation somewhere in the middle. I have to be finished with
contract work between the first and second weeks of August.

I'd like decision about the first 240 hours by the 1st of May. The
additional 120 hours I'll let you know if I can do by the 11th of May.

How should I submit invoices, and how often? After each chunk of 120 hours?

-Augustin