[haiku-inc] Re: Contract proposal: website & R1B1 work

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 13:27:06 -0400

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

wrote:

I'm not sure it's that simple. Porting of Javascriptcore started in 2008
or so and it was a lot of work to get it running as it is now. Your
contract is going to be rather short, so maybe it would be better to start
with a language/interpreter already known to work in Haiku, at least for
the slave part. If your contract starts with porting V8 and getting it to
run, there may not be much time left to actually write code using it.

V8 already was ported to Haiku a few years back, and the diff even then was
<1K lines. V8 has changed a lot since then, but from my investigations, it
appears that they've only changed things *above* the platform layer. So
most of that code is probably reusable.

But yes, if my investigations show that porting V8 will take a long time,
I'll drop it and use something else.

It's your choice ultimately, but it would be nice to know why io.js would
be better than alternatives (I can think of perl, python, lua, bash, ruby
1.8, yab, C, C++ which are known to work in Haiku - there are possibly
more, and not all of them would be good choices). Why would io.js be a
better choice? Has it big enough advantages for this project that justify
spending time on getting it to run?

Yes. Its event model and state management make it a good choice, and it has
so many packages that we can actually implement a good portion of the
functionality simply by using pre-built modules in the right ways.

-Augustin