[haiku-inc] Re: Contract proposal: website & R1B1 work

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 10:39:19 -0500

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Augustin Cavalier < waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx [waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx] > wrote:
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Ryan Leavengood < leavengood@xxxxxxxxx [leavengood@xxxxxxxxx] > wrote:
I'm a long time Ruby guy (though lately I've been doing Go at work),
but I think it makes a lot more sense to do this in Python than fight
with getting a proper Ruby (or io.js or whatever) port, certainly in
the context of this contract.

In case you needed more push for Python ;)
Okay. :)

My next question is: does it make sense to convert the webserver from RoR into
Python then? It appears we have more Python devs than RoR devs around, and then
the entire system will be written in one language (and make interfacing with
HaikuPorter easier, because then we might be able to reuse some of the
dependency-tracking code from it, rather than having to rewrite it in Ruby).

-Augustin

-1.
The ror web server is 90% done and manages cloning the git repos and fetching
updates, parsing the recipies, running Lint's, showing outdated packages, and
scheduling package builds via a rest api. Why rewrite that on haiku's dime?
I might be biased though.. :-)
Rewriting the client isn't a big deal and is a good thing given the state of
ruby 2.x under haiku.
--Alex