[haiku-doc] Re: Application for the "position" of the European Portuguese User Guide Language Manager

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 09:41:59 -0700

On 05/01/2010 08:53 AM, Humdinger wrote:
-- Jorge G. Mare, on Sat, 01 May 2010 07:58:33 -0700:
On 05/01/2010 02:23 AM, Humdinger wrote:
If you want the agreed upon rules changed, open a new thread for
discussion and subsequent vote.
That's bureaucratic BS. An acknowledgement of the obvious -- that the
two man rule is flawed for this type of cases -- and a one-time
exception to the rule would have been the smart thing to do;
I don't see the special case here.

Every community is different. It is obvious from Marcos' initial email that Haiku does not have any willing contributors in his country, and that alone makes it peculiar enough to give it special consideration.

Either the two-men rule makes sense
or not. If you want to change it, discussion and vote is the accepted
approach in a project.

If a rules gets in the way of the basic goals of being productive, growing the community, etc., then it is a bad rule. I know you are not going to admit it, but that's what is happening here. relentless compliance to a rule has been given higher priority to embracing an offer to volunteer work for the project.

Haiku is a small community that suffers from a lack of contributors. If you are not going to be flexible enough to embrace these contributors that offer their time and skills like Marcos, then you are going to have a hard time growing the pool of contributors, especially in cases like this where the community of this particular country seems to be pretty much non-existent.

I am pretty
sure nobody would have objected, and we would not be having this
conversation, Marcos would already be translating, and we would be on
the way to having one more translation.
Don't worry. A few more lines and I'm not having this conversation
anymore.

I did not see anything rude in Marcos email, just the natural
frustration of someone who is offering his time and skills where it
is
obviously needed and is being given the bureaucratic runaround.
Hey. I just pointed him to the document describing the current process
of adding a new translation. He didn't come back to ask for an
exception to the two-men rule. He just immediately severed his ties to
the project altogether!

He could not have severed his ties, because the project did not give him a chance to become involved in the first place.

I hope you don't misuse this instance as another proof how the "elite"
is allegedly pushing away the community in a few months.

You run out of arguments so you resort to personal cheap shots, eh? Why don't you stick to the issues being raised instead? Specifically, why is it OK for a German to write the whole English user guide alone but not OK for a single Portuguese national to translate that very same document into his own mother tongue? Talk about double standards...

Regards,

Jorge / aka Koki