[haiku-development] Re: Variety of quit/save dialogs

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:19:00 +0100

On 2012-12-18 at 22:09:42 [+0100], Mark Watts <miraiwarren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If the hazard is great enough to justify this discussion, it justifies
> an additional dialog. I considered having 2 dialogs for all cases
> (except cancellation): "Are you sure you want to exit?" and "Save
> unsaved data?" but realized that wouldn't address the actual hazard.

That's the best way to have people not read the dialog and click the first
button they can reach.

"Are you sure you want to exit" is useless. If there's nothing to save,
exiting doesn't generate any data loss, so there's no need for confirmation
(the proper fix is to make the app launch and exit faster, so it's not a
problem if you mistakenly quit it). And if there's something to save,
you're going to see the other dialog anyway.

On the other hand, having only the choices of Save or Discard means you get
only destructive options. Either the file on disk is erased, or the changes
in the editor are lost. You need a way to escape from that situation, a way
to tell the computer 'wait, I'm not sure what these changes actually are, I
thought I had saved everything. Let me analyze the situation again and come
back when I've decided what to do.'. That's the cancel button as it is
currently labelled.

--
Adrien.