[haiku-development] Re: Variety of quit/save dialogs

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 15:00:00 +0100

On 2012-12-15 at 10:51:46 [+0100], Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Here's my suggestion: Use "Don't save", "Cancel", "Save".
> - "Save" should be uncontested, right?
> - "Cancel" is most generic to abort an action.
> - "Don't save" is the obvious negation of "Save" and therefore even for
> people with only a rudimentary knowledge of English obvious in an
> instant. "Discard" isn't as trivial. Being two words also serves to
> distinguish the label quickly.

I don't like "Cancel", because it is unclear what is cancelled. Is it the
application exit ? The changes you made ? This is the same as having yes/no
buttons in the alert, the button label alone isn't enough to tell what it
actually does.

Maybe we could go for Stay / Don't Save / Save, or something similar.

I'd not worry for lack of knowledge of english. This is best solved by
localizing the application, rather than bending the language to make it
simpler.

--
Adrien.