[haiku-development] Re: Variety of quit/save dialogs

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:57:46 +0100

Am 16.12.2012 um 15:33 schrieb Landon Fuller <landonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Dec 16, 2012, at 5:17 AM, Humdinger wrote:
>
>> I don't like making button labels any longer than necessary. While
>> things like "Yes", "No" or an "OK" for a destructive action should be
>> avoided, I think we should go for one word if possible. It's instantly
>> taken in with one glance and get easily recognized, if that kind of
>> dialog always comes with the buttons Cancel/Discard/Save. Otherwise
>> developers may come up with app-specific wording like "Save document",
>> "Save image", "Save video" etc.
>>
>> Who knew that the good old "Cancel" button needed further explanation?
>> I wouldn't have expected that "Don't save" were more ambiguous beside a
>> "Save" button than "Discard" either, but I bet I can adjust to that
>> quite easily.
>
> "Save" / "Don't Save" / "Cancel" still seem sufficiently clear to me.
>
> The issue I have with "Discard" is that it's a term with negative
> connotations ("to cast aside or dispose of", "discarded like trash"), and it
> carries ambiguity regarding what is being discarded. "Discard Changes" is
> more clear, but I don't believe it's any more clear than "Don't Save", and it
> breaks the Save/Don't Save symmetry.

I don't think the buttons need to be symmetric like "Don't save" and "Save". I
could absolutely live with "Don't save", but something intimidating like
"Discard" or "Delete" is helpful, since users may for example think the app is
just buggy and doesn't remember that they just "exported" their document a
moment ago. Something that makes them think twice and maybe read the text of
the dialog is good.

I think of each button has having a distinct action and one button doesn't have
to be explained in terms of what another button does, but the action could
rather be named for itself.

Best regards,
-Stephan