[haiku-development] Re: The ways of Reboot. Acknowledge or not?

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:47:34 +0200

Jonas Sundström wrote:
1. I think "End of Session" would be better formulated
as "End Session". (as a command)

Not bad, but I'd go for the simple "Quit" Stephan suggested. It's the usual menu item in Haiku.
There could be the fitting shortcut of SUPER+Q (SUPER being the WIN key).
The SUPER key could become the "system key".

Leave Haiku - Restart
Leave Haiku - Shut Down
Leave Haiku - Suspend
Leave Haiku - Log Out Leave Haiku - Switch User
Leave Haiku - Lock Screen

All very different in nature. (Do you just sort them alpha-
betically or do you try to group them somehow?))

I'd say grouping like above. Important IMO is to have the most common options at top and bottom, e.g. shutdown and lock screen. The cursor-shortcuts mustn't cycle/loop through so you can blindly hit cursor up/down a few times and be sure your at the top/bottom of the list.

3. Ctrl-Alt-Delete, which a lot of people know,
can be made to fit both the Team Monitor and these
options. (See Windows XP, ctrl-alt-del and the Task
Manager. But I´m not saying we have to copy that.)

I dunno. I'm not against separating these things. For me CTRL+ALT+DEL is the panic combo when the system doesn't react as usual. Better combine ProcessControler and Team Monitor functionality here.

Maybe we could leave out Lock Screen, which doesn't seem to really fit in there. After all, locking the screen can be handled with the screensaver preferences and using an activation corner. Important is to not immediately lock the screen, so you are able to abort the action when hitting the activation corner by accident. So, locking should kick in a few seconds after the screensaver kicks in. Always a good idea, how often does the screensaver kick in in a lengthy presentation? Always having to unlock the machine sucks. (Don't know how Haiku handles that ATM. Just saying.)

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de