[haiku-development] Re: The ways of Reboot. Acknowledge or not?

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 07:36:04 -0700

Stephan Assmus wrote:
> On 2009-04-25 at 16:14:44 [+0200], Michael Bridgers
> <michaelbridgers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> One approach I can see that would work for both the newbe and experienced
>> user is to have a time out on the dialog. The default would be something
>> like 5 seconds in which the dialog could be canceled.  If we make the
>> timeout user settable, then the experienced user could set the timeout to
>> zero seconds, which would operate as if there were no dialog.
>>

> Hm. So far I have liked the solution with the sub-menu best. The
> shutdown/restart feature will then take up only one item in the top-level
> Haiku menu, which is especially important when the number of ways to end
> the session grows.

Does shutdown/reboot have to be in a menu? Instead of the Deskbar menu
that requires several clicks (at least two), how about a Deskbar
replicant showing a shutdown button that opens a [Shutdown] [Reboot] or
[Cancel] dialog?

You get the streamlined process (two clicks to shutdown/reboot instead
of three or more) and the safety against accidental operation, that is,
an indistinguishable visual cue in the form of a power down icon that
informs the user in advance what the button is for, and the warning dialog.

Just food for thought. Cheers,

Jorge