[haiku-development] The ways of Reboot. Acknowledge or not?

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 09:56:55 +0200

Hi Philippe!

Philippe Saint-Pierre wrote:
Just a small note to inform you I intend to tackle ticket 3733.. Is somebody already working on this?
That is nice! This is one of most "significant" parts of interface and should be discussed! :-) To initiate this discussion I just repost here my comment from the mentioned above Trac ticket:

====

Preface: For 10 years with BeOS I have *never* shutdowned or restarted it by accident. But for some years with Haiku I have OKeyed this confirmation alerts *many thousands times*. And I really hate this alert boxes! :-D I love BeOS because it doesn't ask me too much for obvious things.

Well, let's look on the problem: someone think that many users have problems with fine hand movements and decisions - and they can "accidentally" select the "Shutdown/Restart" menu entries from the main Haiku menu. Well, I can agree that main menu is a common place and some more protection can be useful here. But IMO, neither current confirmation alerts nor proposed windows-like full-blown dialog boxes can be lightweight and acceptable solutions for Haiku.

My proposition: Shutdown and Restart menu entries should be replaced with following sub-menu:

End of Session... -> Restart
                 -> Shutdown

or with this one: (thanks to humdinger for thinking about the feature)

End of Session... -> Restart
                 -> Shutdown
                 -> Suspend
                 -> Log out
-> Switch user
Pro:
1) it is lightweight and is not over-complicate.
2) it is a BeOS/Haiku way of things. Remember, most of operations in Tracker are performed from context menu. Rebooting from the sub-menu is absolutely natural for typical Tracker user. 3) in proposed solution accidental reboot of the system can occur when user "accidentally" go to "End of Session..." sub-menu and "accidentially" click some menu entry there. I can't imagine this as unintentional action. 4) it save a miles of mouse movements and thousands mouse clicks! Actually you need to select the "Reboot" menu entry, move mouse pointer at least 6 inches to the center of the display, point mouse at OK button and finally click it. The solution, proposed by me require about 2 inches of mouse movements and single click! It saves more than 4 inches and one click pro every reboot. :-D
5) it doesn't irritate the user with obvious confirmation alerts.

Contra:
1) it is still possible to "accidentally" reboot the system from the main menu by selecting "wrong" menu entry. Yes, windows refugee can be surprised with such easy way of reboot. Well - we can add the option "Ask the user before shutdown the system" into Tracker options to make both beginners and veterans happy. :-)
2) ??
3) ??

====

Do you have any opinions, gentleman? :-)

Kind Regards,
  S.Zharski