[haiku-development] Re: Moving away from Subversion (pt 3)

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 01:42:37 +0200

Hi,

On 14 September 2010 00:59, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
>
> Hi,
>
>> The discussion died (with a lot of valid points that were made) and I
>> would like to continue the discussion, albeit in a slightly
>> unconventional way. I would like to call for a few people to create a
>> 'task force' in order to discuss _and_ implement the decision. I
>> mention the implementation because this obviously is a topic that gets
>> a lot of debate, but it will fall or stand with the implementation.
>
> actually, I've already set-up an ro mirror from svn to git for
> parts of the haiku svn tree
>
>    git://pubgit.metux.de/mirror/haiku/buildtools.git
>    git://pubgit.metux.de/mirror/haiku/buildtools-vendor.git
>

> My vote clearly goes to git: it can do practically everything that
> others, like hg, can. But it's whole architecture is thinner/cleaner
> especially the very lightweight and flexible branch concept and
> interaction with remotes. Integrating specific workflows is quite
> easy with git.

This is not targeted at you personally, but I am going to make an
example out of this message. This is not a constructive approach to
the problem. It comes down to more than 'which tool works best?'

Things to be discussed:
 * preferred workflows
 * adapting our tools like dev.haiku-os.org
 * introducing new tools, or outsource repository hosting to github,
bitbucket or gitorious, or any other.

I think everybody has preferences, but I hope that the working group
might look beyond their own preferences.

Regards,