[haiku-development] Re: Moving away from Subversion (pt 3)

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:53:45 +0200

Stephan Assmus wrote:
I am with Wim here.

On a related note, I just wanted to get it off my chest, that this whole
discussion about switching to a DVCS is besides the point IMHO. If there are
technical reasons (robustness of the tools), that's of course something else.
But with the specific problem in mind that patches linger in Trac and it's too
much hassle for non-committers to maintain their work, let me throw out some
ideas that I think would help:

Personally i'm not really worried about that part of the question (small community patches), i don't think we can improve that much here with technical solutions. I don't think we must change the workflow/topology either. But i see a lot of benefits in code production though. My personal case is maintaining big feature branches for Tracker spanning over several months, keep applying community patches on trunk and try to not frustrate and block progress of others, keep working personally on trunk bugs occasionally, syncing my branch with trunk changes, fragmenting my work in smaller commits, avoid having to locally manage multiple working copies of the repo, collaborate with others on feature branches, using several workstations depending if i'm in a weekend with no internet, at home or at BG... and ... keep the fun in doing all that :-)

Best regards,
Alex