[haiku-development] Re: Moving away from Subversion (pt 3)

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:31:52 +0200

Hi,

Von: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   Le 14/09/2010 09:09, Stephan Assmus a écrit :
> > How will switching to another VCS help with any of this? Isn't this more
> towards a solution or at least significant improvement to the original
> problem? We can still switch to a DVCS, if it improves the situation even
> more, but the above should have higher priority IMHO.
> >

> The idea of using a DVCS is not to replace SVN, but to replace trac with
> something better to manage patches. Patches would be commited in some
> kind of branch and you could merge them in your working copy easily to
> try things out. This would at least solve the 'download from trac' part.
> It also allows the patches to keep 'live', that is, they are always
> rebased on the latest revision and it can be immediately noticed if a
> commit create a conflict with an existing patch (the patch then needs to
> be updated by hand). It creates a sandbox area where we can have work
> such as Stack and Tile instead of getting them as 1000-lines patches
> based on an outdated svn revision.

Sure, switching to a DVCS will provide for a more flexible infrastructure on
top of which the features I suggested can be implemented. However, they can be
implemented on top of what we have as well and instead of spending a lot of
time and energy into figuring out which DVCS to use, I'd rather like those
review features be implemented. Once Trac is connected with BOM and can request
builds to be performed with arbitrary patches on top, it should be easy to
switch such a script to request a certain branch of a DVCS to be built instead.
I just think this is time much better spend, with immediate benefit to the
current patch providers and reviewers. Remember the goal is to get patches
*applied* and tickets closed, not to provide an infrastructure in which patches
can remain outside trunk without becoming obsolete. What's the point of that?!

Best regards,
-Stephan