[haiku-development] Re: Moving away from Subversion (pt 3)

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 09:11:29 +0100

Adrien Destugues wrote:
 Le 14/09/2010 09:09, Stephan Assmus a écrit :
How will switching to another VCS help with any of this? Isn't this more towards a solution or at least significant improvement to the original problem? We can still switch to a DVCS, if it improves the situation even more, but the above should have higher priority IMHO.

The idea of using a DVCS is not to replace SVN, but to replace trac with something better to manage patches. Patches would be commited in some kind of branch and you could merge them in your working copy easily to try things out. This would at least solve the 'download from trac' part. It also allows the patches to keep 'live', that is, they are always rebased on the latest revision and it can be immediately noticed if a commit create a conflict with an existing patch (the patch then needs to be updated by hand). It creates a sandbox area where we can have work such as Stack and Tile instead of getting them as 1000-lines patches based on an outdated svn revision.

I'm with Stephan that I'm not sure it would make that much difference. The onus would still be with the patch author to keep it up to date. The author would avoid one "upload to trac" step, and the reviewer would replace the download+patch with an "dvcs pull" operation. Really those areas don't seem to be a major source of problems right now.

I've also started thinking that in many ways having a central tree is a better match with the "one project" mentality of Haiku, and provides things like a single commit list that people can watch for updates and interested parties can use to review things. I understand that DVCS tools can accomodate central workflows too, but philosophically I worry that they would encourage fragmentation.

Simon