[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 10:15:26 +0300

Hi Adrien,

2012.04.08 09:41, Adrien Destugues rašė:
Le Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:34:03 +0200, Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

And those bitmaps could be localized, too (though the support for that isn't
yet implemented in the locale kit, IIRC).

We settled for using resources with a name matching the country code. There is no need for any special API.
Look at the way country flags are handled for an example.

Localized resources are still resources, and shouldn't be stored in locale catalogs. Of course, this means the bitmaps can't be localized through pootle. But, I think they need to be made all at once by the same person to get a consistent look, anyway.

Another problem with localizing this is that there is no mapping between keyboard layout and locale.

Of course not. But there _is_ a mapping between most likely _physical keyboard_ and locale.

I use a spanish keyboard with a french system, I know a lot of our german devs use an us-qwerty layout, and so on. If you have a localized app, you'll get 'STRG', and a non-localized one will show 'CTRL'.

The key names should not be part of the layout. They should be part of the locale in question. So, if you are using French locale, the bitmaps would always reflect the French keyboard, regardless of what actual layout you are using.

How do you know this is actually the same key ? Or do we make this always use the 'main' language ? In that case, it would need special support from the locale kit, because everything was made so that each application gets only one language.

Keycaps should be part of the system L10n. Not layout or application.

How do applications get those bitmaps for the menu at the moment? I really don't think the applications would need any modification to get them. The system, which returns them, needs some tweaking.

Rimas