[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 08:41:30 +0200

Hi John!

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 19:30:32 -0400 John Scipione wrote:
> Maybe I should make this configurable via a preference pane just for
> Humdinger…

Please don't. :)
I didn't know you were already set on the specific symbols, so I trawled
CharacterMap and tried to come up with candidates.

> I would like the icons to represent the key role as much
> as is possible rather than just be nice looking.

I understand. Be aware though that people with different languages and
cultures use different terms in their mind. I bet most of the time
there isn't even a word in the user's mind: They just see the
bitmap/letters/characters and think "Ahh, that shortcut key on the
keyboard again plus letter 'F'".
For example, the "control" key in German is called "Steuerung" and the
key is labeled "STRG". Most users have no idea that it means
"Steuerung" and most of them even talk of "String" (or with the German
pronounciation "Shtring"). And they probably don't even know what a
"Shtring" is...

Anyway, as long as those symbols are visually easily distinctive, we
should be good.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette