[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Inc. in Contempt of Its Community

  • From: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 07:11:17 +1300

On 18/02/2015 6:10 AM, "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 17/02/2015 um 17:34 schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
>
>> The main argument for having a ~/config/non-packaged instead of a
>> ~/config/packaged is that almost all software people use will be
>> packaged. Therefore it is just consequent to keep the paths of the
>> majority of installed software short and convenient.
>

> The majority of software will be installed in /system. ~/config will
probably be mostly empty.

>> Also this keeps the
>> structure of /boot/system and /boot/home/config consistent.
>

> That's a good argument for keeping the status quo.
>
> Another for changing ~/config to ~/config/packaged would be that all
read-only directories would be put together into a single place, and there
would be no surprise what is writable, and what isn't.

> Currently, I find this not very intuitive. That's also a UI problem,
though, but changing how it works would definitely improve things a lot.

I have to agree on these two points about changing the mount point for
packages under ~/config.

Of course, this might cause some short term pain, but from a usability
perspective, will be worth the change.

Besides that, packaged software shouldn't care too much about the path by
design, whereas it does affect users.

Having a single subtree underneath ~/config that's readonly instead of a
mix of readonly and writable directories, with clear intention using a name
like packaged, definitely seems much more in line with the Haiku
philosophy.