[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Inc. in Contempt of Its Community

  • From: Jim Saxton <black.belt.jimmy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:53:24 -0800

On 2/9/15, Weyoun Five <weyounfive@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On October 14, 2013, "bbjimmy" opened a bug report, located here:
>
> https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/10101
>
> In that report, he stated the following facts:
>
> "60 to 80 percent of the third party software for Haiku has been broken
> by changes to the file system. The user guide describes the proper use
> of the /boot/common and /boot/home/config directory trees. These are now
>  broken. Software that expects to add a binary or lib in either tree
> cannot. Scripting that expects binarys in /boot/home/config/bin or
> /boot/common/bin cannot find the binary in the
> /boot/home/config/non-packaged/bin directory."
>
> "I don't like to have to go back and fix stuff that wasn't broken."
>
> The bug reporter didn't ask for much, and it could have been resolved in a
> matter of minutes. All he asked for was the creation of a directory and read
> access to a few others.
>
> It is unclear what motivated five people to respond to the bug report.
> Clearly, they had no intention of helping get the issue resolved. Instead,
> they arrogantly asserted a disingenuous argument: that use of hard coded
> paths is "broken by design."
>
> Yet, when one looks at the inter workings of packages built by Haikuporter,
> one can clearly see that it indeed uses hard coded paths:
>
> readelf -d msgen
>
> Dynamic section at offset 0x2bb0 contains 23 entries:
>   Tag        Type                         Name/Value
>  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library:
> [libgettextsrc-0.19.2.so]
>  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library:
> [libgettextlib-0.19.2.so]
>  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libncurses.so.5]
>  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libintl.so.8]
>  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libiconv.so.2]
>  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libroot.so]
>  0x0000000f (RPATH)                      Library rpath:
> [/packages/gettext-0.19.2-1/.self/lib:/packages/ncurses-5.9-10/.self/develop/lib:/packages/libiconv-1.13.1-6/.self/develop/lib]
>
> Haikuporter's incororation into Haiku was the justification for the
> destruction of numerous end user applications housed at Haikuware.  They
> were all created by unpaid volunteers under the most difficult of
> conditions, destroyed by an arrogant Romanesque thumbs down:
>
> "Package management is the future of Haiku software distribution; if
> Haikuware won't embrace that, it will go away."

It's a little late to be complaining about this. Yes, the devs made
bad choices when changing the system. They did that by not discussing
it "in public", on the main website in plain view of the users and
application devs. They chose to make those changes based on limited
input from this list and the irc channel, places most users and app
devs do not frequent.

By harping on this, you are inviting the devs to become even more
isolated by moderating this list. this is not good for abybody.

As it is, with some work, not work that I wanted to be engaged in, yab
and most other programs can work with the new arrangement. This is how
it is, and by now, there is no plan of ghanging it back. In fact,
doing so would now break things that we have all worked hare to make
work.

The 60 to 80 percent figure came out of my butt. It was my estimate of
the problem based on my experiance, not any servey or other reasonable
measure.

Give it a rest, the devs are not in contempt of the community, they
are just guilty of not communicating very well, as most of us are.

--
bbjimmy
http://www.coquillemartialarts.com