[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Inc. in Contempt of Its Community

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 08:31:47 +0100

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 03:02:51PM -0800, Yourself wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 09:25:02PM +0100, Axel D?rfler wrote:
> > On 02/16/2015 07:53 PM, Jim Saxton wrote:
> > >This argument is flawed. One could use B_USER_LIB_DIRECTORY to place
> > >your program's special lib in and still come up with a read-only
> > >directory. Lets face it, like it or not, changing the directory
> > >structure changed the user interface and the appi.
> >
> > Only in theory -- of course, this is a huge change from before, but you
> > would place your library in a Software Valet package and tell it to put
> > it into B_USER_LIB_DIRECTORY, and everything would continue to work.
> >
> I don't understand.  B_USER_LIB_DIRECTORY is read-only.  Does the current
> version of SoftwareValet (I'm presuming you're not misnaming HaikuDepot)
> hack this to the non-packaged location or something?

Yes, PackageInstaller (our tool to install SoftwareValet packages) will
do on-the-fly rewrite of paths in the install scripts to put things in
the non-packaged folders.

As Axel mentionned, nothing is set in stone, and we could move the
packages to a packages subfolder. But, we need a real good reason to do
that - not just "it's a change, and I don't like changes".

Most of the BeOS software I use comes in packages with "unzip to
/boot/apps or anywhere you feel like". Maybe there are some broken "drag
here" symlinks but this is only a minor annoyance and can be fixed by
repackaging the software (with new links, an install script, or as an
HPKG).

There may be good reasons to keep the directory layout more similar to
the BeOS one, and I would appreciate bug reports mentionning specific
software which doesn't work. We can then investigate what the issue is,
and fix it either on Haiku side or on the affected software side (which
is ok, we can't live on old BeOS builds of everything forever).

This can only work if people actually make useful bug reports describing
the exact problem they have. Vague report of "it breaks my existing
setup" are not much useful to understand and debug the problems. And the
more you wait before submitting bugreports, the less likely you are to
get more important changes done in Haiku (as we are trying to stabilize
it for beta1 now…)

--
Adrien.