[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Inc. in Contempt of Its Community

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 12:25:27 -0500

https://www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Package-manager,8

> In short, are bundles really a good means of packaging *all* software? If
> not, is it really such a problem having to install a bundle. Installation
> could be reduced to just extracting the bundle.

I feel that this is where package management went off the rails. The idea of
extracting the package was never seriously considered which led to adding
special read only directories to house the packages and all the consequences
that go with that.

Unfortunately this discussion was from 2009, so it is water under the bridge at
this point.

John Scipione