[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: Ralf Schülke <ralf.schuelke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:37:30 +0200

> Well, that's questionning the essence of the Haiku project. The main
> goal of the project is "writing an open source binary compatible
> replacement for BeOS R5". Several other projects took less restrictive
> paths while trying to preserve some of the BeOS legacy: BlueEyedOS,
> Cosmoe, AtheOS then Syllable, SkyOS, and probably a few others. I would
> suggest you join one of these projects if that's what you are after, but
> unfortunately they are all dead. So maybe it's time for another team to
> form, and a new OS project to be launched in this family. Maybe it can
> start as an Haiku fork, or maybe it can start from scratch or use
> another base (Linux or BSD or whatever). On the other hand, I see little
> point in people popping on the Haiku project mailing list and telling us
> "hey guys, your main goal is wrong, and you should change it". This is
> not going to happen, so if our goal doesn't match what you think is
> right, instead of trying to steer existing projects your way, please
> start your own project and show us how it's better. You can reuse as
> much of our sourcecode as you think is useful, you can ask our
> developers as much questions as you want on the internals, and some of
> them may even join your project or contribute some patches if it works
> well. But it wouldn't be Haiku anymore. You will ned to find another
> name for it.

Thats not true, we talk about goals and not the OS design, the design
don't need remove, but improvements and focus ships.
Haiku as OS are very powerful and give good ideas for visions, but
when we hold on technical stuff (old compiler and old die os
compatibility and old hardware) we are not focused.
We can make a simple system for using without blobs and ads.
eg:
it's good to work an appserver and on a responsive layout for better
scale on 4k and so on.
its good to work media server
its good to work on the kernel, servers and kids
etc...
its not good to work on a browser, when we have not the manpower and a
browser are not really a part of OS, its a app, so when webkit people
not interesting to bring the browser to haiku, then it is so.

I am really sure, when we make the os better, then will come other and
bring eg. the browser. The same with other apps, but we can open the
doors for new developer he will work on a browser , or a final cut
apps but used the KIDS, or working on new Kids, but we can merge when
its finish and works and not break the system.

> Adrien.
Ralf