[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: Stefano Ceccherini <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:30:58 +0200

> The goal can limit and the new stuff too, simple work at first then
> focused on stuff. eg:
> - remove arch and plattform we are not 64bit
>
> That will not make new developers magically appear. The 64 bit version is
already there, one can contribute code and work to that version, if he
feels the 32 bit version is useless.
No one will stop him.

> - join one compiler eg: llvm/clang llvm are a good idea and give place
> for more future stuff

There are already people who compile haiku using llvm/clang, and fix
problems as they appear.

> - cleaning source tree and split the "userland stuff, not the
> developerland (compiler, editor etc) eg: apps -> can separately, and
> packages system , webkit, can separately -> src/os.. ; src/apps/..,
> src/webkit/..; src/server/packages/..;
> etc. the results are a clean system from the OS design: KERNEL ->
> SERVERS -> KIDS -> [APPS]
>
> Isn't already like that ?

> - redesign the UI, its better to work on modern colors and shapes with
> alpha (or fake alpha) Desktop and UI ideas from chrome os, eg. the
> desktop panel are nice and the window management.

Anyone can come and propose any change. Many people do, actually.
Unfortunately, very few people are eager to do the necessary work.
Remember that no one will ever stop anyone to work on anything.
Yes, maybe there will be discussions, and it's not sure that the work will
end in the Haiku source tree, but so what ?
How do you think other projects work ?
Do you think one can subscribe to LKML, say "Linux should implement this"
and the developers will start working on that feature ?

> - make the kits more usable and stable, so that app developer work on apps.
>
> Isn't this what the Haiku developers are doing, day by day ?

> We can make more then now, its funny to make it better, and this os
> need good apps and this os are free and this os are altanativ, because
> it is modern.
> We can say we are  small but complete with less of loc and a vision.
>
> Talking is  easy, work are harder, so what will we do?

Exactly.

> Let us open a new code tree with a new goals and vision and we will
> see whats happens.

Anyone can fork Haiku. I doubt this will pull some million developers,
though.