[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: "Mark A Hayes" <markarnold@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:52:57 +0200

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM, "Stephan Aßmus"
<superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> The main site should really have an FAQ entry which goes into greater
> detail.

I think explaining why an obsolete arch (32-bit, gcc2!) is the recommended
build is definitely useful. Because I don't get it. I honestly tried to get it,
but I don't. The fact that it's a goal isn't very useful in itself.

> If you really want to find out, try to google the discussions, there
> have been plenty. If you know the background and reasoning and find it
> not valid, you could start a new discussion directly addressing the
> arguments made. But if you are not interested enough to research it,
> then just stick to assuming the reasons are good.

I did indeed do this, and it boiled down to the desire to have R5 binary
compatibility. The actual rationale for that desire, however, is still elusive.
Unless I missed something, in which case I apologize.

Cheers
m.a