[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 18:31:29 +0200

Am 09.09.2014 18:22, schrieb Julian Harnath:
Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> schrieb:
I think that if a video editing app is starting to page data
in 32-Bit, it probably has room for improvement.

Don't forget though that video resolutions are always increasing - and
with them the data amounts. Having large amounts of RAM available is
good when your video editor supports things like automatically
prerendering parts of the video (composited from multiple tracks,
including filters, etc) in the background to RAM. 4 GB is quickly
exhausted then when dealing with large resolutions...
But yeah, currently there's no software on Haiku in shape to do that.

I don't necessarily agree. How many 4K frames, possibly on multiple tracks can you pre-render in RAM? It will always be only small portions of the time line. And if you double the amount of physical RAM, you can still only play a slightly larger portion of the timeline. If you want the software to play smoothly more often than not, you need to pre-render to disk. There was video editing software long before 64-Bit computing, and it had smooth 4K playback (using caching on disk arrays).

I think scientific apps operating on really large data sets are something different. But I agree with the general argument for 64 Bit anyway, it has lots of other benefits.

Best regards,
-Stephan