[gps-talkusers] Re: UK POIS

  • From: TBrownGriffin@xxxxxxx
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 02:14:09 EDT

Hi Steve

I am in the south east of England and I too have found a large number of
inaccuracies in the POIS.  For one, there is a restaurant in our local old
peoples settlement, across the road, which has never been there nor is
anywhere  within a 20 mile radius (I have not looked further) but there are
also
others, I  am off to London next week so will report back after I have been
up there for a  week!

Tony

steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi all

The more I look at the UK POIs the more I worry  about them!

I have been comparing notes with my wife's Tomtom  and she is using the
maps that equate to Sendero version 5. Just looking at  our local area I have
discovered that a large number of POIs are wrongly  positioned. We have two
streets named Prospect Street in Reading and all the  POIs relevant to
Prospect Street, Caversham, Reading
, have been moved to Prospect Street, Reading.  Their postodes are totally
wrong and their details show the correct addresses  but someone has changed
their Long/Lats.

We looked at Places of Worship in more detail. We  found 8 withn 13.2
miles. None of them were Christian. All the churches have  disappeared in the
current maps. We have got everything else from synagogues  to yoga centres.

I'm not sure what to do about it. There does not  seem to be any scope for
general complaints on the TelAtlas site. The usage  that these maps get
should mean that they are self-correcting but I don't  think many people no how
to, or can be bothered to, submit corrections. I am  also uncertain that
TelAtlas take any notice of correction that are submitted.  I submitted a
number of corrections last year but none of them appears to have  been actioned.

Steve