[gps-talkusers] Re: Preview of Sendero GPS LookAround 1.1

  • From: Mike Arrigo <n0oxy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 22:16:44 -0500

What can you do in the tom tom app? Can you at least enter a destination? I may
purchase it if that can be done. Kapten GPS is very accessible also, but I
don't think the voice guidance is as good. The Magellan app isn't even
compatible with IOS 4 yet. I'm actually surprised Garmin has not developed an
iphone app. The one advantage to having a few different apps is that it can be
good to have an app from each map provider. Navigon uses the navteq maps, and I
think the kapten GPS does too. Tom tom uses teleatlas. Actually Tom Tom owns
teleatlas now I think, and Nokia owns navteq.
On Oct 12, 2010, at 7:47 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:

> [...]
> for POIs based on categories, names etc. Where has benefit of social
> aspect, which also uses crowd source to get reviews, check ins,
> ratings, gas prices etc.
> Great thing with these various companies is they are very receptive to
> feedback, especially Navigon, TomTom and Skobbler, all whom I have
> provided feedback.
> Kevin
> http://twitter.com/kevinchao89
>
> On 10/12/10, Mike Arrigo <n0oxy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I can type decently on my iphone, but I am faster on a keypad, no doubt
>> about that. I actually got an unlocked iphone and I use it with t-mobile.
>> Apple knows how to put out some unique products, but I have no idea what
>> they were thinking when they got in to this exclusive at&t deal, I mean, if
>> a carrier is going to subsidize a phone, that's fine, but to refuse to sell
>> the phone unlocked in this country makes no sense whatsoever. Fortunately,
>> they are available unlocked via import. I've been testing some GPS apps, so
>> far, the best one seems to be the navigon app. The kapten GPS app is also
>> good. I'm pretty sure that a combination of the sendero look around app and
>> the navigon app will give me the features I use with mobile geo on my
>> windows mobile phone. Of course, you can't virtually explore the map with
>> this combination, but I never use that anyway. Another accessible app is
>> called motion GPS drive, it's accessible, but the voice directions don't say
>> the street names. There'
>> s another one called copilot, but it's completely inaccessible with
>> voiceover. I've also heard that the tomtom and magellan apps are also
>> inaccessible, does ayone know if this is true?
>> On Oct 11, 2010, at 10:05 PM, Michael May wrote:
>>
>>> This is a very relevant topic for everyone.
>>> The writing aspect of the iPhone is its weakest link. Every piece of
>>> technology has its trade offs and this is the issue with the iPhone.
>>> Like all trade offs, there are some work arounds. You will get better at
>>> writing with practice, not without some frustration. How good you get
>>> really depends. Some people are quite fast with the touch screen keyboard.
>>> Others hate it. I personally fall somewhere in between. I am still way
>>> faster texting on a keypad on the N86 than I am writing a text message on
>>> the iPhone. Forget about writing any long emails.
>>>
>>> You can also acquire an external wireless keyboard to use for writing. You
>>> can also interface with the Apex and other Braille devices. I find this
>>> the most exciting combination. It is very cool to be able to read
>>> everything that the iPhone speaks on the Apex Braille display and then to
>>> be able to respond to emails using the Apex keyboard.
>>>
>>> I consider the iPhone my media center and my N86 my phone for calls and
>>> text messages. It is kind of expensive to have two phone lines so I will
>>> eventually bite the bullet and probably use the iPhone. Just don't expect
>>> prompt text messages from me if you write.

>>> screen. Don't tap too hard when activating these buttons as you may
> [...]
>>> phone number. Click on the phone number to call that business. A Call or
>>> Cancel button will then be presented. The Back button will take you to the
>>> POI list. If you do call the business, you will be taken to the phone
>>> application and will need to launch LookAround again. It will of course be
>>> in the task switching list.
>>>
>>> The 5 buttons across the bottom of the iPhone main LookAround screen from
>>> left to right are as follows: There is a beep after the touch of each
>>> button. There is no vibration.
>>> 1. The Map button takes you to Google maps and a push-pin is displayed
>>> on the screen to indicate your position. Voice Over will not announce any
>>> of
>>> the map information. Press the Back Button to exit the Map and return to
>>> the
>>> main screen.
>>> 2. The Compass button will indicate which direction the iPhone is
>>> facing if there is no compass interference, which may come from nearby
>>> electronics or magnetic forces. Once you have changed direction with the
>>> phone, touch the Compass button. Once you receive the confirming beep, the
>>> new compass direction should be spoken. If not, touch the top of the
>>> screen
>>> to hear the text output. If you are told there is compass interference,
>>> slowly move the phone in a figure eight shape while it is laying flat.
>>> When
>>> the interference goes away, the error will disappear from the screen.
>>> 3. Shake on/off toggle button. If you hear Shake On button, this means
>>> the Shake feature is enabled as described above. The purpose of this
>>> toggle
>>> is so you can turn the shake feature off when you place the phone in your
>>> pocket or bag without closing the LookAround application. Normal walking
>>> will tend to make the phone shake inadvertently and keep talking unless
>>> you
>>> switch off the Shake feature. Alternatively, press the power button on the
>>> top of the phone briefly to lock the screen temporarily. You will need to
>>> unlock the screen before LookAround will function again.
>>> 4. The Setting button will open another screen with a list of options
>>> such as Shake on and off, Country, Metric/Imperial distance units and
>>> Help.
>>> The item which is enabled will say "selected."
>>> The POI Category Button, which has a flag icon, takes you to a list of
>>> categories. There is a Picker list. Voice Over users can swipe up and down
>>> to change the category. Press the Back Button to return to the main screen
>>> and your new POI category will be used when you shake the phone or press
>>> the
>>> 5 POI button. This category list is in alphabetical order.
>>>
>>> Note: When you touch any of the 3 primary buttons on the main screen, the
>>> focus is moved to the text portion of the screen and you will hear the
>>> spoken. If you want to activate one of those buttons again, you need to
>>> move
>>> focus back to the button before activating it.
>>>
>>> Secondary Sendero LookAround Screens:
>>>
>>> Settings Screen:
>>>
>>> There are 4 items on the Settings screen, one above the other and a Back
>>> button in the top left of the screen, which takes you out of Settings and
>>> Back to the Main screen. These settings will be saved until you install a
>>> new version of LookAround.
>>>
>>> The first item is Shake Gesture. To its right is its on/off status. You
>>> will
>>> hear Selected for the active status.
>>> If you select the Off status, the Shake button will be removed from the
>>> main
>>> screen. This is different than the function of the Shake button on the
>>> main
>>> screen, which turns it off temporarily.
>>>
>>> The second button allows you to select the map region and you will hear
>>> which one is selected to its right. The current options are North America
>>> for the US and Canada and the other is Europe, which contains most but not
>>> all maps for the region. We hope to add other countries in future
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> The third button is Distance unit, Feet, Meters or Yards. The active unit
>>> will say selected. The default is yards.
>>>
>>> The fourth button will take you to the Help screen.
>>> This screen has hints and tips for using the iPhone. There is a link at
>>> the
>>> bottom to the Sendero iPhone page, which has more details. The Back button
>>> is in the top left corner. The disclaimer button is in the bottom right
>>> corner.
>>>
>>> POI Category Screen
>>>
>>> This screen starts with a Back button in the upper left corner followed by
>>> the title text, Select POI Category.
>>>
>>> Below that is the currently selected item. Touch this item and then move
>>> up
>>> and down through the list of categories. Whichever category is highlighted
>>> is the one that will be used once you return to the main screen. There is
>>> no
>>> Save or Done button. Just press Back to return to the main screen.
>>>
>>> Known Issues:
>>>
>>> There may be locations where you hear a POI label spoken but no data
>>> reported. Please email us with the city and state or lat/lon to
>>> GPS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you come across this.
>>>
>>> There may also be situations where the POIs are far away or for some other
>>> reason the swishing goes for a long time. It should time out after 2
>>> minutes.
>>>

>>> Operational items to be aware of:
>>>
>>> Map data for most countries is from Tele Atlas with POI content from Info
>>> USA. The data resides on a server so if phone connectivity is lost, the
>>> data
>>> cannot be accessed. There is no data resident on the phone.
>>>
>>> The iPhone performs its positioning based on triangulation of the nearest
>>> cell towers as well as with GPS. This means that if you are indoors, you
>>> can
>>> still receive rough location information even without GPS reception. It
>>> depends how far away these cell towers are as to the accuracy you will
>>> receive.
>>>
>>> When you are outside, the built-in GPS receiver and antenna can improve
>>> accuracy to the typical 30 to 50 feet range. For maximum accuracy, give
>>> the
>>> phone some time to acquire a GPS fix outside and away from tall buildings
>>> if
>>> possible. See the Sendero "GPS Accuracy" document for a comprehensive

>>> http://www.senderogroup.com
>>> http://www.AccessibleGPS.com