[gmpi] Re: using another plugin API

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:54:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Vincent Burel wrote:

> >The issue of 64 bits is not only dynamic range, but also arithmetic errors.

Precisely.

> no sorry, the arithmetic error depends how you manage your computation of
> your processing and the abilities of your processor, not depending on type
> of the data you receive.

You are thinking of this in the context of a single, monolithic plug-in.
In that context, I agree with you 100%:- 32 bits in, 32 bits out is
plenty enough. The error added by a single plug-in is down around
the -130dB region and is obviously not going to be audible.

HOWEVER, in the context of a large and complex graph, these errors can
accumulate (just as they can within your algorithm, if you don't manage
the computation properly).. there is no fundamental difference between
"routing" and "internal computation", they are subject to the same
fundamental laws albeit at different scales.

Therefore, if we can allow GMPI plugins to talk to each other over a
higher fidelity connection if they wish to, and doing so does not cost us
in complexity (if we're going to have format negotiation - and I'm not
saying for sure that we will, but it seem reasonable - we basically get
this for free) then we should:- it might not matter for the most obvious
applications of GMPI (short chains of perhaps eight or fewer plugins
between the original signal and the output) but for complex chains where,
for whatever reason, either multiple gain stages are implemented as GMPI
plugins, or the plugins themselves are small and therefore many are
required (cf Reaktor), it seems like a good thing to have.

Regards,
        Angus.