[gmpi] Re: using another plugin API

  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:42:20 +0200 (CEST)

>       After getting that, then we can get down to making it work the way we
> want. I would suggest that backwards compatibility could not be a
> requirement. But it would be good to leave open the possibility of a
> shim to support current AU plugins on OS X.

In my opinion, a nice thing about AU where it is now is that it represents
a lot of work and good design (yes, still some problems, but generally a
lot of good work), it has been "on the road" for a while now so we know
how well it suits our needs (or in some cases doesn't) in practical terms,
but it's also new enough that there isn't a heavy development investment
in how it works now quite yet.

So what I'm getting at is, regarding whether or not to preserve backwards
compatibility, I think that (1) there are degrees to that and therefore
(2) we should talk about this with specifics before deciding.  Of course,
I also think that it's not the time to discuss this particular issue, it
seems like that's jumping ahead, but what I mean is that, when we get to
that point, I think that we should know specifically what we might want to
chuck with regard to backwards compatibility and why.  It might be the
case that they're relatively minor things that are inconsequential enough,
and would be easy enough for existing hosts and plugs to quickly adapt to,
that we could just do them and say that GMPI-AU is mostly compatible with
Apple AU.  But anyway, jumping ahead...

Marc