[gmpi] Re: using another plugin API

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:22:07 +0100

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:05:33AM -0400, Angus F. Hewlett wrote:
> > I'm also not sure that you're not romanticizing the GMPI effort and aims a
> > bit.  But I'm glad you are making that all explicit and asking what others
> > think and feel in this regard...
>
> I'm just thinking about an API I might have to use in 20 years' time. That
> said, an open/free, thoroughly cleaned-up second-generation API would be
> of considerable benefit in any case, and AU is certainly a sensible base
> to start such an effort from if Apple are able to meet our requirments for
> freeness/openness.

I think its very unlikly that anyone will be using current or near future
plugin technologies in 20 years time.

MIDI basicly survived that long because its very hard to upgrade (it
involves hardware) and it's good enough. The requirements for host based
processing can, and most likly will, change much more rapidly and there is
a much lower barrier for change.

It's not that I think we should ignore potential future directions, but
they can introduce unnecessary complexity if you're not careful.

Too many standardisation programs get to the end and find that thier
obsolete. For me, solving the problems that we have here and now, simply
and efficiently is the best thing we can do.