[gmpi] Re: using another plugin API

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:03:48 +0100

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 11:54:31AM -0400, Angus F. Hewlett wrote:
> HOWEVER, in the context of a large and complex graph, these errors can
> accumulate (just as they can within your algorithm, if you don't manage
> the computation properly).. there is no fundamental difference between
> "routing" and "internal computation", they are subject to the same
> fundamental laws albeit at different scales.

This doesn't match my experience, I've seen /very/ large pd and jmax
graphs with feedback (32bit floats between objects) and the rounding
errors do not become a problem.

I guess you could probably construct a graph that deliberatly brought out
rounding errors, but it would be quite hard, and its not the sort of thing
a user is going to do accidentally.

IFF we require format negitition anyway, then doubles wouldn't hurt, but
I'd prefer to see a system without audio format negotiation.