[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Bill Gardner <billg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 10:40:52 -0400

At 09:41 AM 5/9/03 +0200, you wrote:

i'm affraid i don't understand. For me the time representation for plug-in
has to be computed one and only one time per audioframe (whatever the number

Sample blocks (timeslices) can be quite long, so we need events to be time stamped to occur within the timeslice, not just at the beginning, hence the suggestions to stamp each event with start time in sample counts. Is this the source of your misunderstanding?

If all events occurred at block start, the only way to get sufficient time resolution would be to use really short blocks, potentially 1 sample, which is obviously inefficient.

Bill

---------------------- Bill Gardner Wave Arts, Inc. 99 Mass. Ave., Arlington, MA 02474 Tel: 781-646-3794 Fax: 781-646-7190 billg@xxxxxxxxxxxx