[gmpi] Re: FW: Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 15:18:59 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 2:09 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: FW: Re: Topic 6: Time representation

> notice how the nature of the information supplied to plugins changes
> between polling and event-driven operations. in the polling mode, the
> plugin defines the timebase and the units, and the time in
> question. in event-driven mode, we have to know ahead of time what the
> plugins wants.

so, attached to the buffer, we need only one time,
we need the time of the first sample of the buffer coming from the timecode
of a media player :
means the time from the media, (or the time of the host timeline or VTC,
SMPTE, MIDI Clock or whatever , this has to be managed by the host).
- in samples
- in hh/mm/ss/ms/frames
- in bar/beat/tics.

that's all (if there is no playing media, the time is useless).

as Event
since the plug-in processing can continue to process sound... even if there
is no media to play (like an independent hardware unit )
we need event , or special function to let the plug-in be aware about at
least
- START
- STOP.

Vincent Burel