[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Frederick Umminger" <Frederick_Umminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:49:20 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Hockin [mailto:thockin@xxxxxxxxxx]

>A tick is the hosts finest level of granularity.  This abstraction allows
>for hosts to have very fine or very coarse accuracy, depending on the needs
>of the situation.

But that is exactly the point. There _is_ no finest level of granularity to
musical time.
Musical time is infinitely divisible.

A tick is not an abstraction (what does it abstract?), it is an imposed
limitation. I have yet to see any reason, let alone a compelling one, for
imposing this limitation.

-Frederick Umminger