[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:57:17 -0700 (PDT)

> >A tick is the hosts finest level of granularity.  This abstraction allows
> >for hosts to have very fine or very coarse accuracy, depending on the needs
> >of the situation.
>
> But that is exactly the point. There _is_ no finest level of granularity to
> musical time.
> Musical time is infinitely divisible.

Software HAS to make some accomodations for reality.  Unless you've an
analog computer around, you're quantizing the sound, too.

> A tick is not an abstraction (what does it abstract?), it is an imposed
> limitation. I have yet to see any reason, let alone a compelling one, for
> imposing this limitation.

It gives accuracy of manipulation and it gives flexibility to the USER,
where it belongs.  The user can set up 10000000 ticks per beat, if they so
desire, or they can set up 10.  Whichever suits their needs.  It was argued
in XAP that ticks_per_beat should be fixed at some very high value, so as to
be essentially seamless.

I don't see the need.