[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:09:33 -0700

From: Tim Hockin

A tick is the hosts finest level of granularity.  This abstraction allows
for hosts to have very fine or very coarse accuracy, depending on the needs
of the situation.

But that is exactly the point. There _is_ no finest level of granularity to musical time.
Musical time is infinitely divisible.

A tick is not an abstraction (what does it abstract?), it is an imposed limitation. I have yet to see any reason, let alone a compelling one, for imposing this limitation.

-Frederick Umminger

That seems like a philosophical argument to me, not a technical one. Would you agree that there is some sufficiently fine stepped resolution beyond which, for a given tempo, in the context of a sampled audio DAW/sequencer or a MIDI-like instrument, the difference between a float representation of a time position and a stepped time position is inaudible to humans?

-- Chris