[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:12:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Paul Davis wrote:

> if someone can show me a plugin that takes 15 seconds to load, i'll
> show them a serious implementation flaw in their plugin or the OS they
> are using.

Flawed OSes are a fact of life, part of the environment GMPI has to deal
with. Actually, I agree, 15 seconds seems ridiculously bad.

However, bearing in mind that a binary may allow multiple plugin object
types to be instanted, and that these objects might have different I/O
types... we do not want the host to have to instantiate one of each
object, query it, etc...

> OS's handling of run-time linkage sucks eggs.

Again, that's beyond our control, however much you or I might wish it to
be
otherwise.

Regards,
        Angus.