[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:20:08 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 01:56:27 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > The thing I DON'T like about storing this stuff in an XML file is that it
> > SHOULD NOT be user editable.  It is not user-defined stuff.

Your average dumb user can't even work the file manager on their platform
without some serious handholding... those that can, and know enough to
mess with XML, do so at their own risk.

> The concen about wrapped plugins is valid though - it might require the
> GMPI metadata equivalent of a CGI script :-(

No. When a user installs plugins from another platform and wants to wrap
them to GMPI, they run a config program which updates the wrapper
component's XML file. On a multiuser system, this means that each user has
to have a copy of the wrapper if they want to install their own FormatX
plug-ins, but that's no biggie.

Regards,
        Angus.