[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:59:43 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 7:24 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

> >> actually, yes i do. its a system with 20+ years of history behind in,
> >> and usage on systems where the system management issues are beyond
> >> anything you want to think about, certainly vastly more complex than
> >> the systems most existing plugins run on. although
> >> envvars-as-search-path does have its problems, in the 20+ years it has
> >> existed it has never attracted the same level or intensity of problems
> >> that centralized registries have.
> >
> >why Microsoft didn't remove their registry so !? (at least 95% of the
> >computer on the planete ! :-)
>
> i don't know. ask microsoft. while you're there, ask them why they
> allowed attachments to be opened by default, why users get sysadmin
> access by default (up to XP?), and why they did not offer any
> equivalent (for a long time) to pthread_mutex_trylock()?

i don't know but i don't missed that ! :-)

> if we're going to try to settle technical design questions by what MS
> has done, we may as well quit now. i mean come on: a quick google for
> "windows registry corruption" yields in excess of 45,000 hits, some of
> which are for commercial products that repair the registry. if that
> isn't an indictment of a design, i don't know what is. "hey, with all
> these cases of registry corruption, we could make some money offering
> a tool to repair it!"  ... ouch.

:-) you make statistical survey for Pentagone or what !? :-))
ok, funny game : "Linux bug" = 9000 Hit it's a lot for an OS used by nearly
no-one except programmer and computer engineer no !?  :-) have you compared
with 45.000 hit for registry bug related to the 1000.000.000 of computer
using windows. What can be your conclusion Mr The Expert !? :-)

People who get problem in the registry are people who install every crap ,
who got every virus, who play with the regedit and who tried to hack some
limited demo. i repeat it , i ve never had problem with the registry and i
never heard about this kind of problem from a client or whatever since the
Windows 3.1 (it was generally due to lack of RAM)

VB