[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: Kord F Taylor <syntropique@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:17:09 -0800

Howdy,

on 12/12/03 1:24 PM, Paul Davis at paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> So I am "only a simple marketing person" (anyone see the caveman lawyer skit
>> on Saturday Night Live?), but I the statement below made me think of all the
>> apps (hosts?) that must run "native" (VST/RTAS/etc on PPC, Intel) plugs
>> concurrently with dedicated DSP plugs (TDM/PowerCore/UAD1).
>>
>> Would this count as an answer, oh "nation of smarties" :^).
>
> no, not really. the h/w-DSP plugins present a "native" interface to
> the host. the host can't tell the difference.
>
> --p

Thanks for clearing me up on that. I take it the "native interface" inside
the host (to dedicated hw mentioned below) is part of GMPI?

on 12/12/03 1:46 AM, Steve Harris at S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 3) WHY? No-one has come up with a single good argument why one host would
>  want to support plugins with two different datatypes.

So if the host only sees a native interface currently, then I don't get the
above question since the host is not seeing two different data types. Is the
"host" referred to the application (ProTools, Cakewalk, etc.)?

Should I assume that all GUI representations of data piped via the "native
interface" have conversions from int that are represented consistently
across applications?

--kT

Kord Taylor
Wave Distribution