[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:15:54 -0500

>Let's suppose GMPI defines audio sample data types as GUIDs:
>GUID_Float32 = ...;
>GUID_Float64 = ...;
>GUID_FixedInt48 = ...;
>etc.
>
>When you compile a plugin, you typedef SAMPLE_TYPE to be one of the above,
>one sample type per binary:
>typedef float SAMPLE_TYPE;
>
>Then, in wherever plugin meta data lives (ie, the same place where plugin
>names, vendor names, and versions are kept), we keep an entry:
>DataTypeGUID={....}
>
>That way, the host knows at enumeration time, what kind of data the plugin
>expects and produces.
>
>That's it.  It's so darn simple I don't understand the objections...?

i suppose that if the GMPI SDK includes platform-optimized and
standardized methods for hosts to convert between each enumerated
sample type, then this is not *so* bad. i still don't like this too
much - i would much prefer that to say that if i write a host to run
on a Pentium6, it uses a given sample type along with all the plugins
as well - but it doesn't seem too reprehensible.