[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:01:00 -0800

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 04:08:14PM -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> That's it.  It's so darn simple I don't understand the objections...?

The objection is that a 'profile' that is going to work on embedded systems
will likely need more than just that.  Which is why I am advocating that we
wait on 'profiles' until GMPI is (more or less) solid.  Then, if the needs
of an embedded 'profile' go beyond just integer IO, we can handle it.  As it
is we're defining profiles to handle issues we don't know of.

What you described is fine, and correct, I think.  And a host that is clever
can load plugins that use float, double, and fixed all at the same time.  In
fact, we can make it VERY simple to support all the datatypes.

Reverting to code, to continue the point:

The host loads two adjacent plugins into the graph

if (left_plug->type != right_plug->type) {
        GMPI_type_convereter *conv;

        conv = GMPI_type_converter_new(left_plug->type, right_plug->type);
        chain(left_plug, conv);
        chain(conv, right_plug);
}

Tim