[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: UV <u.wildner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:44:38 +0100

Just a thought...

If plugins are supporting different types that makes them universally usable in different hosts!
The plugin knows what it needs inside - the host doesnt.
So if the decision about how to convert the data remains within the plugin
this might be the more efficient solution from a neutral viewpoint.
Things change if the weight of the sensible applications change...

Scenario:
FLOAT host     >>>>  INT interface <<<<<<   FLOAT plugin
FLOAT host     >>>> INT interface <<<<<<   INT plugin
INT     host     >>>>  INT interface <<<<<<   INT plugin
INT     host     >>>> INT interface <<<<<<   FLOAT plugin
FLOAT host     >>>>  FLOAT interface <<<<<<   FLOAT plugin
FLOAT host     >>>>  FLOAT interface <<<<<<   INT  plugin
INT     host   >>>>>   FLOAT interface <<<<< INT plugin
INT     host   >>>>>   FLOAT interface <<<<< FLOAT plugin

(including more formats makes the permutation table even more exciting...)

RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The more I think on it, the less I think that multiple type support will
actually impact anything much.  I think it is a relatively simple extension,
and will actually buy us something in terms of marketing and
future-proofing.
Let's build it as we see for 'normal' processors, and then derive a
GMPI-Embedded or GMPI-Mobile spec.
<<<

So what are you saying, that you want per-binary sample types should be part
of the 1.0 spec, or not?  I think we should avoid GMPI-x specs.  The whole
point of all this is to wind up with one spec, ONE.