[gmpi] Re: Parameters / controls / GMPI event system - refreshment

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:23:22 -0800

Tim said:

Heh, we overlapped in mid-air again. :)

Right, good post, sorry for not getting my correction out there faster, and we're evidently in violent agreement: Anyone who wants 1-voice-per-string is going to require channels, and anyone who wants multiple notes with the same key number is going to require VPID's. With these, a controller can send message streams appropriate to any known voice allocation style, and have the plug just do the right thing. So GMPI probably needs both channels and VPIDs... (a) so far, so good, and (b) but then again, we already knew that.

But that doesn't answer the point I was making here, i.e. how does the controller know what voice allocation style to use, and isn't that dependent on the patch it's trying to play?:
In real life, speaking as a GR-1 user, I'd suggest this needs to be thought of not strictly as a fixed permanent mode of the controller, but instead as some sort of dynamically configurable thing that's somehow tied in with the design of the selected patch -- when controlling something like a vibes patch, it just sounds wrong (and not very often interestingly wrong, usually just wrong wrong) to lose the ring-out of the last note every time you hit a new one (which is what happens with 1-voice-per-string).... if you also
want the results to sound right, then you might indeed want the
selected patch's preferred way to be able to back-propagate all the
way to the controller. Don't know how, exactly.

Any thoughts on that part? Just because it's potentially ugly to solve doesn't mean it's unimportant.

        -- C