[gmpi] Re: Parameters / controls / GMPI event system - refreshment

  • From: thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:50:25 -0800

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:07:54AM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> >  Two RealVoices are now playing.
> >  One VVID is ACTIVE, one VVID is in RELEASE.
>
> Yeah, but again, that is the wrong behavoir.

Uggh, I knew that example would confuse the issue.  I demonstrated the
more flexible case.

> Play the same piano key twice, you do *not* hear the decay of one note
> *and* the attack of the 2nd at the same time.  It's not physically
> possible and any Software piano emulates that.

Which I pointed out below the example.  But this is *COMPLETELY* dependant
on the synth.  When I play the same note 3 times in my sampler, I *do*
want the tail to play.  When you play the same note 3 times in your
e-piano, you do not.

> The best way to indicate the 2nd G should *replace* the 1st immediately
> is to re-use the VVID.

Yes, but that implies some knowledge between the sytnth and the sequence.

> This behavior applies even when you play other notes between the two Gs.
>  The logical conclusion is:
> -Always use the same VVID for that G key... or in general
>
> For a keyboard instrument: Give each key a unique VVID and stick with it.

...for a piano.  This is NOT the general case though.  By forcing this to
be the protocol, you gain nothing, and you impose restrictions.  That's
not good.

It's just as easy to use a new VVID for each voice.  If you're a piano,
you can floorf() the pitch.  If it is the same as an existing RealVoice,
kill that RealVoice.  The key is that it's all *inside* the plugin, where
that decision belongs.

Tim