[gmpi] Re: Parameters / controls / GMPI event system - refreshment

  • From: thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:45:23 -0800

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 03:23:22PM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
> But that doesn't answer the point I was making here, i.e. how does
> the controller know what voice allocation style to use, and isn't
> that dependent on the patch it's trying to play?:

you mena the VPID allocation scheme (host) or the real voice-process
allocation scheme (plugin)

> >In real life, speaking as a GR-1 user, I'd suggest this needs to be
> >thought of not strictly as a fixed permanent mode of the controller,
> >but instead as some sort of dynamically configurable thing that's
> >somehow tied in with the design of the selected patch -- when
> >controlling something like a vibes patch, it just sounds wrong (and
> >not very often interestingly wrong, usually just wrong wrong) to
> >lose the ring-out of the last note every time you hit a new one
> >(which is what happens with 1-voice-per-string).... if you also
> >want the results to sound right, then you might indeed want the
> >selected patch's preferred way to be able to  back-propagate all the
> >way to the controller.  Don't know how, exactly.
>
> Any thoughts on that part?  Just because it's potentially ugly to
> solve doesn't mean it's unimportant.

Wouldn't something like ring-out be more akin to reverb?  Internal to the
plugin it has a separate unit that is tracking the tail.  Maybe I just
don't know what you're exactly talking about.

Can you clarify for me?

>       -- C

Tim Hockin
thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
Soon anyone who's not on the World Wide Web will qualify for a government
subsidy for the home-pageless.