[gmpi] Re: NAMM follow-up, some major decisions to make

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:20:37 +1300

Cheers Ron,

That sounds positive, I (perhaps wrongly) got the impression some MMA members were anti-GMPI and might interfere.

I will join the MMA if necessary to get GMPI off the ground.
I'm very hopefull we can wrap this up a lot faster than the 2 years it's taken so far.

For example I've already got complete, working, stable VST hosting code I'm happy to donate to the VST-GMPI wrapper.

I'm really keen on writting a 'burnt-in' wrapper, i.e. You can (optionally) include VST-wrapper source code at compile-time, a single dll file can then simultaneously support both the GMPI and VST interface. kind of a "universal plugin". If someone does the same for DXi, we will have a real "killer-app". Write once, run anywhere.

Jeff

Ron Kuper wrote:
I wouldn't say the large manufacturers have nothing to gain.  There are
large manufacterers who are interested.  And even though objections were
raised at the meeting last week, the objections aren't insurmountable, and
nor were the opinions the "official corporate" position(s) of the companies
involved.

I am confident that we will be able to find a way to make GMPI more
attractive, both by highlighting key tech and market benefits, and also
perhaps by tweaking our development process to recognize the MMA more
clearly.

If it came to a vote in the MMA, every member's vote counts equally, AFAIK.
If, as I hope, ~12 software companies decide to join the MMA to persue this
effort, it would be a significant reshaping of the organization.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>