[gmpi] Re: NAMM follow-up, some major decisions to make

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:46:18 -0500

Since people who attended the meeting presumably knew who this was,
would you mind telling those of us who didn't ?
<<<

Yamaha and Apple.  But to be fair, there were many other MMA member
companies who simply didn't attend the meeting.  So that's another
measure of how interested some of these people are.

Please, not sf.net. Their entire system has become terribly
overloaded. It costs hardly anything to host a significant
collaborative development system - I could do it right now via my
hosting service for zero extra cost.
<<<

How about development system that was hosted by the MMA?

You let
people in based on their participation in the requirements process,
clearly demonstrated existing skills and, as time goes by, the quality
of their contributions as judged by the rest of the community.
<<<

I'm all for that kind of approach.  Would it be too restrictive to also
require MMA membership?

It occurs to me that it is *possible* that some of you who work for
commercial concerns might not have much experience of running open,
net-based, collaborative software development efforts.
<<<

I resemble that remark. :-)

I told the Linux Audio Developers mailing list year that I would be
happy to join the MMA "on behalf" of LAD so that we had explicit
representation in the process. I stand by that intent, and I also
believe that, although the MMA is not the absolute ideal body for this
(a true standards body like the ISO or even the less commercial AES
would be better), its still a very, very good option.
<<<

That's good to hear.