[gmpi] Re: NAMM follow-up, some major decisions to make

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:26:47 -0500

I don't regard these points as likely to influence host vendors. They all
got where they are today by doing the opposite, so their whole experience
works against us.

When they start losing sales to open source competition or to GMPI-based
commercial competition, that will influence them.

I see two technical paths to this end:

First, base GMPI's reference implementation on OSC, or some other network
protocol capable of beating MIDI at its own game, especially in precision
timing and flexible control.

Second, make adapters so that anyone who develops with the reference GMPI
SDK automatically gets VSTi, DXi, JACK, etc.

Then the first host vendor who adopts GMPI as a native protocol gets a
musical advantage over the others, and a lot of people will probably have
written GMPI plugins that will leverage that advantage for the vendor.