[gmpi] Re: NAMM follow-up, some major decisions to make

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:45:16 -0700

Well, it is rather easy to go to my product management and say: "Lets support this standardized audio plugin system instead of one owned (up until recently) by a direct competitor." If we want something changed in VST we have no recourse. If we want something changed/added to GMPI, there will be a specific process to follow. This is why having under the umbrella of MMA is very important. If Yamaha were to simply turn over VST to the MMA (something that is perhaps a liitle more likely than Pinnacle turning it over), I would say great, and starting working on VST 3.0 instead of GMPI (I bet it would look a lot like GMPI).

Mike

Jeff McClintock wrote:

What we need is some compelling business reason for companies to want to
do this today.  Is there something truly broken that GMPI will fix?

Well, no nothing's broken. I can happily Jam on my VST Plugins all day. The *vast* majority of musicians using VST or AU have no complaints.

I see the advantage of GMPI being a huge simplification of the plugin development process. The commercial benefits:
-less market fragmentation (all plugins run in most hosts)
-more plugins
-cheaper/better plugins (more developer hours devoted to innovation, less to compatibilty/porting).

To be honest, GMPI's advantages lie in the long term. I'm not surprised commercial companies see no immediate advantage.

P.S. Regarding MIDI/OSC...Don't start debating this again. For better or worse the requirements are complete. It's taken long enough. Re-debating them will only kill the process, let's move on to the next step.

Jeff

Mike Berry
Adobe Systems